There are several aspects of the article assigned for this weeks reading that not only surprised me but also helped me better inform my opinion on outdoor spaces and gardens as learning environments. First and foremost, recognizing the learning garden as a co-teacher sounded slightly odd to me at first, but after some reflection on my experiences so far in the UBC Orchard Garden, I realized that it has taken an active role in my learning. An example would be my previous post on the differences in how people view physics and astronomy which was sparked entirely by the drawing assignment in the garden.
I was especially interested by the part of the article that spoke about initial conceptions of the UBC Orchard garden and the immediate "reflex" of the campus planners to create a space that was just a normal lecture hall, but outside. I think that this links to a pre conceived notion that many people have which presumes learning can only take place in a classroom or classroom-like environment. This in itself is evidence of a need for alternative learning environments like the UBC Orchard Garden. Giving students regular access and learning experiences in a space like the Orchard Garden could help phase out these pre-conceived notions of what constitutes a valid learning environment.
Having had some of my own learning experiences in the garden already, I am excited to incorporate a garden into my own teaching style. There is some obvious usefulness in my particular case as I will likely be teaching science 8, 9, or 10, all of which contain units on biology. This is great and helpful but I believe that learning in the garden does not need to stop after the biology unit is over. In my previous post I wrote about the perceived "rigidity" and "demand for perfection" that many students feel when they encounter physics problems. This can be very intimidating and a classroom environment filled with straight lines and perfect angles may only serve to intimidate them further. Moving certain lessons from the classroom into a more relaxed environment could help students remember that nature itself is not perfect. It will likely take some trial and error to find which lessons in particular are best taught in the garden, and which will need more of a classroom focus. I suppose that the learning could even vary between classes depending on their needs and concerns. Despite these concerns, the students stepping outside of a "regular" classroom and into a less formal learning environment is a step in the right direction.
References
Gerofsky, S. (2017). What we have learned from campus teaching and learning gardens: The UBC Orchard Garden and Cultivating Learning Network. Ira Shefer 2. China’s participation in global climate governance: reflections and prospects………………..... 4 Prof. Qingzhi Huan, 110.
No comments:
Post a Comment