Several years ago my partner and I began setting up and growing food in a small garden on our balcony. I still remember the amazement and joy we felt when seeds turned into small stems, which eventually grew into plants that produced fruits and vegetables. Although the plants did not produce a substantial amount, there was still an immense sense of joy and excitement that arose from the fact that we had managed to start from seeds in a store and move into food that could actually be eaten. The article by Sharon Kallis and the concept of "backsourcing" reminds me of that experience and makes me think about the time we put into making that little garden work. It also makes me wonder about what other resources we needlessly outsource and could instead spend time enjoying and taking part in the creation of as opposed to just consuming.
I attempted to make the rough rope demonstrated by Dr. Gerofsky in the first video on the blogs page, but did not have much success. I used some left over yarn in place of the grass used in the video, but consistently struggled to create the rope. In particular, I was able to get as far as the initial cross over, but did not fully understand where I was supposed to be pinching on subsequent crossovers. I am also almost certain that my choice of yarn was not the best stand in for the grass as it did not really hold it's shape. Hopefully on Thursday I can improve my method!
No comments:
Post a Comment