I really enjoyed spending time creating rope in class and through our conversations, I feel that I gained a little more insight into indigenous ways of knowing and learning, and how they can be implemented in the classroom. In particular, after we harvested the bow rush plants from the biodiversity museum, Dr. Gerofsky mentioned the importance of taking only what is needed, among other practices that are helpful when it comes to harvesting from the land. Going back to the rope making experience, I found it far easier to learn the technique in person (especially with other learners around me). In my entrance slip to this class I noted the difficulties I was having when it came to following the video, specifically with the crossing over aspect of the ropemaking method. I feel that this shows the importance of collaboration and the benefits of learning alongside others. A technique that seemed impossible to figure out to me when viewed online became simple and easy to understand when I had another person showing me up close. By the end of the class I felt I could create rope out of pretty much anything, and even experimented with creating a bracelet and some rings out of the lilly grass and corn husks. This experience gave me the same sense of joy and amazement that my experience with gardening did. In the future I would be interested in attempting some of the weaving techniques, but will probably need to find someone to work with in person to do that.
No comments:
Post a Comment